Last week we looked at some unusual things caught on camera, but it felt unfinished. We’re going to explore things larger than life that were caught on camera, so people with megalophobia, be careful or sit this one out.
My search has taken me to the dark corners of Reddit and other platforms that take megalophobia (and photography) very seriously. We’ll not only go on a trip to unpack what megalophobia is, but explore photographs of actual locations, things, animals and even digital art that is going to strike a chord with you.
It’s an exciting article that may or may not resonate with you. Just know that the fear of things larger than life exists out there, and if some of these don’t scare you, chances are nothing will.
Megalophobia or the fear of large objects
All sorts of phobias exist out there, but quite a famous one is megalophobia which is the fear of large objects. This applies to things like large sculptures, towering buildings, huge aquatic animals. The list goes on.
It’s interesting that the fear can be common among many people but be felt and experienced differently. For example, someone might just be afraid of large animals like elephants and whales, while others might be afraid of man-made objects specifically. Think Titanic here.
Movies like Jaws and Anaconda really exploit this kind of fear that’s perhaps an integral part of all of us. Who wants to enter the waters with a great white shark on steroids? Exactly.
Let’s get to the good stuff – 22 things larger than life
1. We start with the classic
2. This scary dam
3. This new bridge at Ba Na Hills
4. Fear of heights? Pair it with this clock tower and a daredevil
5. This wave that looks straight out of Interstellar
6. Speaking of Interstellar…
7. And other things that actually exist in outer space in comparison to LA
8. A mountain made of actual salt
9. You probably underestimate the size of the pyramids
10. And some ships can blow your mind
11. Some just have no fear whatsoever
12. This is a Quetzalcoatlus northropi model next to a 1.8m man
13. Art can be terrifying too!
14. 80x80m flag for National Day? Chill Switzerland.
15. This dome puts things in perspective
16. Not sure what this is, but looks like the end of the world
17. Wind turbine in comparison to a human
18. If this makes you uncomfortable, it’s totally normal
19. What’s not normal is this thing that just swims around
20. A picture to remind us of how small we really are
21. Imagine this IRL
22. Whoever made this is evil
Seems like we’ve seen it all now. If you happen to find any megalophobia related stock images on Depositphotos, leave links in the comments section below! We want to add more odd things to our list.
Subscribe to our blog
Stay up to date with trends, get valuable tips and insights as well as bonus materials.