Since the end of the world is (supposedly) approaching, High Five! has some tips that will help you enjoy the days left until the Big Bada Boom! Depositphotos’ contributor Ryan Jorgensen, a known connoisseur of horror, gives his advice on what to shoot before it all ends – and how. Beware: some spooky and bloody content inside!
1. Zombies. The perfect horror subject, zombies can best be described as “vacant, with a hint of sadness, like a drunk who’s lost a bet,” and this shoot is best done drunken. Think skewed angles, think bad lighting, think broken props; but most of all, don’t think too much.
2. Sinister Clown. You know you’re onto a winning horror theme when the subject has its own phobia. Coulorophobia is the fear of clowns, and there are various websites around the world dedicated to helping sufferers of this traumatic affliction…. But we’re not here to assist. Only the worst will do for this theme; therefore, doing your own makeup with cheap facepaint* is essential. Don’t forget grandpa’s rusty saw, and be sure to eat a margherita pizza without using your hands before you don your cheesiest grin, for a shoot that will incite a coulorophobia epidemic. [*causing a face rash that will last approximately three days]
Horror Clown Writing Halloween Message In Blood | Stock Photo © Depositphotos | Ryan Jorgensen
3. Dead Sexy Nurse. Need a second opinion? or just a helping hand? Why not consult a “Dead Sexy Nurse?” This theme will be a sure pulse-raiser that may leave you bedridden and in need of mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Essential items for this shoot include: a discount nurse outfit, stethoscope, rubber gloves and a smokin’ girl who’s happy to listen to Accidents by Alexisonfire. Special note: Expect to be directed to a rehabilitation clinic when purchasing the needles for this shoot (as I was!).
4. Evil Pirate. History is littered with lists of infamous pirates notorious for being ruthless, bloodthirsty cut-throats. A quick Google search on Francois l’Olonnais or Blackbeard will give you all the inspiration you need. This theme is best shot on a rusty fishing trawler off the coastline of Somalia, but if funding is short, the local beachfront will do. Cheap and nasty props from a Dollar Store will also suffice; just don’t go cheap on the bottle of rum.
5. Funeral Director. A person who earns a living from death, plays dress-up with cadavers and drives dead people around = a dead-set winning subject.Prepare by donning your best top hat and plastic moustache, then do a tour around all the local churches. Just be sure to leave the mini-coffin outside the church doors, as bringing it inside might upset the priest (as I did!).
Subscribe to our blog
Stay up to date with trends, get valuable tips and insights as well as bonus materials.