High Five! is happy to introduce Depositphotos’ bronze contributor FotoJagodka, who has kindly agreed to share five tips on how to take pictures of animals:
Working with animals is both exciting and complicated. In order to get a proper shot, one has to be patient, try to get acquainted with the particular animal, and help it get used to the shooting environment.
This process is similar to working with kids. Animals never sit still; it is always hard to make them pose for a photo you’ve planned, and that is why you have to come up with some tricks.
So, how do you get the results you need from an animal?
1. Make sure you have the animal’s favorite toy or treat.
White chihuahua dog lying with sunflower | Stock Photo © Depositphotos | FotoJagodka
2. A photographer should have an assistant, who would help to treat the animal properly, keep things in order, set the light.
3. In order to draw an animal’s attention, you have to prepare some catchy noises. They have to be different, since an animal gets used to a particular sound very quickly, and may not respond to repeats.
4. You should treat small animals like mice, rats, hamsters, snails, frogs, etc., with proper attention, since they do not really respond to sounds, noise or movements. Use your assistant’s help, buy a macro lens and be motivated to get a great shot.
5. In order to get high-quality sharp photos, you should have several professional fixed-focal-length lenses.
Whippet in sheep skin on a white background | Stock Photo © Depositphotos | FotoJagodka
Subscribe to our blog
Stay up to date with trends, get valuable tips and insights as well as bonus materials.